LinuxMall Part No: 01321
Network Computing named it Best Network Operating System. It won LinuxWorld's Editors' Choice Award for Distribution/Client. Now Caldera Systems presents version 2.3 of OpenLinux. This easy-to-install distro is fully tested, proven, stable and supported. OpenLinux delivers reliability, ease of installation and administration, high performance, security, and robust applications.
$10.00 mail-in rebate coupon enclosed! Send it in and your net cost will be just $18.95!
Mall Price: $28.95
Click to buy!
This item is replaced by 02034
Rebate: After buying this boxed set, you can get $10.00 back by mailing the included rebate coupon to Caldera Systems!
Older version: You can read about the older
Feature Summary: (Top of Page)
Applixware 4.4.2 (full featured trial version); StarOffice 5.1 (personal edition); WordPerfect 8 (personal edition); Daily scheduler/organizer, calendar, calculator
Award-winning K Desktop Environment (KDE) 1.1.1 and KDE Themes Manager with 80 themes.
MPEGTV (MPEG Video Player); OSS (Open Sound System); Audio mixers; Graphic manipulation (gimp 1.0); CD, WAV, and MPEG 1/2/3 players
COAS 1.1 for Administration of peripherals; Networking set-up; Software configuration; Disk Quotas; Firewall and accounting
Protocols: TCP/IP, Ethernet, PPP, SLIP, PLIP, UUCP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, NFS, SMB, IPX, etc.; Client/Services: DHCP 1.0, NFS 2.2, NIS 2.0, Samba 2.0.3, DNS (bind 8.2.1), Telnet, WU-FTP 2.5; Internet: Communicator 4.61, Apache 1.3.4, Sendmail 8.9.3, News (inn 2.2), Majordomo 1.94.3, Dial-in (mgetty 1.1.8 & ppp 2.3.), Dial-out (kppp 1.6.11) ISDN Support
Applix Shelf database application builder; Symbolic debugger (gdb & ddd); Python 1.5.1; Perl 5.005_02; Tcl/Tk 8.0.4; Java Development Kit 1.0.2; Java Virtual Machine (Kaffe 1.0.b4); C & C++ compiler (egcs-2.91.66)
- LILO boot manager configuration option
- Installation options (Web Server, Business Workstation, Development Workstation, Home Desktop or Custom configuration)
- BRU (Backup & Restore Utility) integrated into the desktop
- WINE - Windows 95/98 emulation
New in 2.3: (Top of Page)
In this 3-CD collection, OpenLinux 2.3 now includes many additions and
- Applixware 4.4.2 Office Suite (full-featured trial version)
- StarOffice 5.1 (personal edition in 6 languages)
- WordPerfect 8.0 (download version)
- Communicator 4.61
- KDE Themes Manager with 80 themes
- 4Front Open Sound System
- Apache Web server
- Samba file and printer server
- Sendmail sever
- BRU (Backup and Restore Utility)
- Partition Magic & Boot Magic (Caldera Systems' edition)
- Remote and hands-free installation and configuration
- New 2.2.10 Linux kernel
- Y2K ready
With OpenLinux you can create office documents, presentations and spreadsheets with Applixware or StarOffice. You can Browse the Web, read and send e-mail, read and send news, and create Web documents with Netscape Communicator 4.61. You can host web sites with the Apache Web server, the most widely used web server in the world. You can manage email accounts using the sendmail server. You can share files and printers between Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX and Windows clients. You can setup audio and/or video conferencing for instant communication worldwide.
Easiest, Most Powerful Linux
OpenLinux includes the latest version of LIZARD (Linux Wizard) - a powerful but simple-to-use graphical installation. LIZARD detects your mouse, keyboard, video, sound, CD-ROM, hard drives, floppy, PCMCIA and ethernet cards to get OpenLinux up and running quickly.
OpenLinux includes the award-winning PartitionMagic and BootMagic (Caldera Systems' edition) that enables the sharing of your PC with Windows.
Award-Winning Software & Best Linux Value
OpenLinux received LinuxWorld's Editors' Choice Award for Distribution /Client and was finalist for product of the year. Other awards include the Network Operating System of the Year Award from the editors of Network Computing.
OpenLinux contains the award-winning K Desktop Environment (KDE), an easy-to-use, customizable desktop interface.
OpenLinux also includes:
- Applixware 4.4.2 office suite, (Full-featured trial version) NEW
- Netscape Communicator 4.61
- StarOffice 5.1 in 6 languages (Personal edition) NEW
- KDE Themes Manager with 80 themes
- Corel WordPerfect 8.0 (Personal edition)
- 4FRONT Open Sound Systems (Unified Linux sound support) NEW
- Samba - Windows file and print server
- Apache, Sendmail, Java, Linux client for NetWare and 100s of other packages
Y2K Tested and Certified
OpenLinux 2.3 has been tested by independend laboratory, KeyLabs, Inc., ensuring uninterrupted service now and through the year 2000.
What is Linux?
Linux is a multi-user, multi-tasking operating system that interoperates well with other operating systems, including Windows, NetWare and MacOS. It supports a wide range of software, including X Windows, Emacs, TCP/IP networking. Benchmarks of Linux have shown comparable results with mid-range workstations from Sun and Digital.
Designed for Stability and Performance
OpenLinux is the Linux distribution that meets the requirements for business. As opposed to a simple collection of packages, OpenLinux is completely "self-hosted." That means each build of OpenLinux includes the Linux kernel and other Linux packages. A self-hosted system increases system performance, uses less hard disk space, eliminates library conflicts, and lets advanced users re-build the system with their custom changes included. Business workstations demand proven, tested, stable, and supported operating systems. That's why OpenLinux is "Linux for Business."
The three CDs include:
2.2.10 Linux kernel; Multi-user; Multi-tasking; glibc 2.1.1 (and libc 5 for backwards compatibility); PalmPilot-capable
When you purchase Caldera Systems' OpenLinux, you are entitled to 90
days or 5 incidents (whichever comes first) of e-mail based installation
assistance. An incident is considered to be an issue that cannot be
broken into sub-components. Caldera Systems provides this to ensure
that the default
configuration of OpenLinux is functioning correctly for you.
Installation support includes the following items:
Support that goes beyond your installation needs, or that is delivered by
phone instead of by email, is also available on a paid basis.
- CD installation of OpenLinux on supported hardware*
- Basic configuration of the graphical system (XFree86)
- Basic network configuration of TCP/IP, IPX, and the NetWare Client
- Basic configuration of an e-mail client
- Basic configuration of printing
- Basic configuration of a PPP connection to an ISP via modem using kppp.
- Basic configuration of supported sound cards.
* Hardware that is not supported out of the box includes:
- Microchannel Based PCs
- "WinModems" (modems made specifically for Windows systems)
- "WinPrinters" (printers made specifically for Windows systems,
like the Lexmark 2070 printer